In 1954, the Pottery moved to the site of the old Hornsea Brick & Tile
Works, where Wade and Cherry’s famous acorn tiles had been made.
the Second World War, its large workshop had been used as a pig rearing
unit, but after this it became neglected for some years.
Much cleaning out
and restoration was therefore necessary before the move could take place!
The demand for Hornsea Pottery was variable at this time, but some
progress was being made in the sales of vases, posy troughs, dishes and
ashtrays, many decorated with cartoon animals in the Disney style. They
employed the designer Marion
Campbell working from home for
a short time and it was she who
was responsible for the much
sought-after black animals, cats
and large dogs.